Saturday, February 28, 2009

More Grocery Savings

I hit some sales today at Stop and Shop. I was mad at myself because I had a stash of coupons...and misplaced them in my efforts to reorganize. So one of my purchases today was a $3.99 coupon organizer. No more envelopes because I'm thinking that a check that I mailed out for a homeschool field trip also contained my coupons. I hope she enjoys them.
It took me about 1 1/2 hours today to do coupons and another 1 1/2 hours of actual shopping. I'm sure the time will decrease once I get used to price comparing. I'm still working on stock piling my pantry and although I've spent a lot of money in the past two weeks, I've also saved a lot of money. One of my purchases today was the magazine All You. It's loaded with coupons so I'm hoping to see how that pans out for me.
Here's how my spending went today.
10 Mac and cheese/on sale 10/$10-savings=$5.80!!!
Barilla Pasta 10/$10-savings=$3.90
Bumble Bee Tuna 10/$10-savings=$6.60!!!
Pillsbury brownies 10/$10-savings=$3.60
Green Giant Corn 10/$10-savings=$2.30
Apple Juice 10/$10-savings=$5.00!!
BC Cake Mix 10/$10-savings=$2.30
Nature's Promise Pasta 3 boxes/$3.98 (coupon for $3.00 from last visit) Total cost=$0.98
Crab Classic BOGO/$3.99-savings $3.99
Crest Toothpaste-$2.99 /$1.00 off coupon doubled-savings=$2.00
Suave shampoo and conditioner $1.97-$1.00 coupon doubled. Savings=$2.00
I had a few other items like draino that I didn't have coupons for but those go on our household maintainence budget and not groceries.
My total bill for today before savings was $171.13
After store special and the $9.00 in coupons I had it came down to $115.61. This week alone I saved $52.65. Who hooo!
And I've been keeping track of everything on an Excel spread sheet. I only started stockpiling last week so have probably have spent more than I normally would have in two weeks. We get our produce from a distributor so that was another $20.00 this week.
In the past two weeks I've spent a total of $368.70 and I've saved $313.18! (not including produce)
I think one more week of hitting sales and my pantry will be very stocked. I'm so proud of myself and even if I don't hit the big bargains I'm much more aware of where my money is going. Every penny I save is less time I have to work at the stinkin' hospital (did I say that out loud?) and money saved for fun things like a vacation....or a bottle of wine.
Now I just have to master the CVS Extra Care bucks. Since we already get a 20% employee discount on non-sale items, can someone tell me why I haven't been shopping there? Sigh.
Babysteps I guess.

No comments: