Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ok I'm Awake

It's been 18 hours since Larry got his Cochlear Implant activated. Okay-we won't count the sleep time since he didn't wear it. So maybe really 9 hours. Lots of smiles in the house today. Larry could hear the chickens softly clucking this morning when he let them out of the coop. My hair dryer just about pushed him over the edge. He didn't notice this morning but his back was turned to me and I spoke to him-and he turned to see what I was saying. He couldn't discern the speech but he at least knew I was talking to him. In the past, I've always had to tap him on the shoulder. One thing he did realize is that he can now hear himself chew his food. He had me laughing as he said he never even knew people made noise when they chewed.
Little things he is noticing-like the scrape the slider makes when the door opens. Good-maybe we can get that fixed now. I guess you have to hear that something is wrong before there is really an actual problem! The whole-"I don't hear anything", isn't going to work anymore honey!

Larry couldn't hear the tree frogs last night-but he will. As his brain learns to recognize the nuances of speech and sound I think he's going to do great. I'm so very excited and happy for him.

No comments: