Friday, January 23, 2009

Coming Home

So where have I been for the past 10 days? I really missed blogging. I spent a too long stay at the hospital after having a terrible reaction (read lost my airway)to the antibiotics used to treat my Lyme disease. On top of the allergic reaction I was in full blown Herxheimer reaction from the Lymes. It was horrifying. I had a headache (read put your head in a vice and squeeze hard for days on end), joint pain, muscle pain and tremors, fever and to top everthing also had to have my gallbladder taken out thanks to the antibiotics. I had a lumbar puncture, MRI and ultrasound too. Then they tried me back on the antibiotics at a 1/4 dose and I had yet another reaction that also caused me to lose my airway (read throat swelling and closing). I have lost 15 pounds in a week and have much muscle wasting and am extremely weak. My husband took 2 weeks off of work to care for the kids and traveled back and forth each day to see me. I'm grateful to our church for the support, meals, childcare and pastoral care that they have provided. Several homeschooling friends also watched the kids so that Larry could be with me. I really missed my kids and was unable to see them for the 10 days. I was so ill. I came home Thursday and still am not able to do much. Even making a cup of tea is difficult-I have no strength to stand for long and I'm shaky and weak carrying a teacup. But I am home and glad to be with family and my incredible kids who made beautiful artwork for my hospital walls. On a brighter note, I don't have any Lyme symptoms. The general anesthesia used for my gallbladder surgery took away the never ending headache and my muscle pain and joint pain are gone. I'm hoping it is not temporary.
I really missed my family, home and my things.
These are a few of my favorites.

Larry did bring my mala beads to the hospital for me. They are made of palm-wood and very light. As well as my favorite Lavender Williams and Sonoma Lotion. Did I mention that the skin on my hands and feet sloughed off due to the allergic reaction and antibiotics. I look like a burn victim.

And my monkey slippers. Yes these are the ones I got for Christmas and they already have a hole in them. I love them.

I really missed good coffee. Hospital coffee sucks. Pure Battery Acid. Better yet, I got to share a cup this morning with my ever wonderful husband.

This hand sculpture that sits on my dining room table. It's our chalice and is lit before every meal.

My meditation table. Not that I've been able to use it much with the joint and muscle pain but it is a reminder to always try to stay centered. I hope to get back to my practice soon.

This centerpiece on my coffee table. I love round smooth rocks and collect them whereever I go.

This is my favorite dove sculpture and a birds nest I found in our yard. It's so peaceful looking and smooth to touch.

And this picture of stacked rocks that's hangs in my office. Very meditative.

My cat Dixie who sleeps on my desk while we work and sheds her hair everwhere. Ok ,well that I didn't miss. I will spend the weekend recuperating and hopefully blog again soon.

weekly hits
DuraSoft 3 Litetint


Sara said...

I hope you feel better! That sounds like quite the ordeal.

Kat RN said...

Hey, I am so glad you are ok. That whole situation must have been horrible. I hope you start to feel better and stronger soon. :)