Friday, April 24, 2009

BIOMES Science Center Field Trip

Thursday our homeschool group had a field trip to BIOMES Marine Science
Center in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. It was was wonderful time with about
thirty kids and twelve parents in attendance.
The whole crowd listening to our guide about proper handling of the animals in the swim tanks.
Darwin the spur-heeled tortoise greeted us at the entrance.

Our guide (whose name escapes me) shows the kids a putrefied, I'm mean petrified monkfish. Totally creepy.
He apparently had a very good dentist.

A blurry picture of the Octopus. We were not allowed to use flash photography and I learned it is very hard to photograph swimming fish.

Checking out the crabs.

Patrick holding some of the Starfish in the swimtanks.

This just looked like Seltzer water to me until I got closer. In this bottle were thousands of microscopic baby seahorses. Really amazing to watch.

Reggie the Boa Constrictor. I have no idea why he was in a Marine Center. But the kids all loved him and got to pet him.

Sara and Kiara check out the Horseshoe crabs. Most of them were busy mating.
Ahhh-homeschool lessons.

They look so prehistoric.

This Lionfish was stunningly gorgeous.

Romy and Linda check out some exhibits.

This was a big eyed orange something or other. Let me go find my 12 year old to clarify.

This was a Raven Fish-a kin to the very poisonous stone fish. All the little things poking out of him made him look like a coral reef. Great disguise.

A Sea Skate. Reminds me of an I Spy book. I spy a happy face mermaid with a
frilly apron and an hour glass figure.

Busy kids in the swim tank.

More kids checking out the Horseshoe crabs and baby eels.

The whole crowd.

This was the best part. Our guide made the Puffer fish blow up for a
moment as she held him in her hands.

Then he spit the water out across the room and deflated. It's used as a defense mechanism so other fish won't eat them. The kids thought it was great. Oh-and that's Sammy the marine cat that is sound asleep on the Boa Constrictors cage.
It was a wonderful field trip and the kids really enjoyed themselves.


4 comments:

natalie said...

Thaks for all the great photos from the Biome Center, is this a URI place?

The Mom said...

not sure. The website may tell you.
Bev

Anonymous said...

No. No connection to URI. Biomes is a privately owned Marine center owned and run by Mark H.
A truly incredible place with lots of hands on learning! I am a teacher in a private school and have been taking my classes there ....for many years, The experienc just gets better.

Bcus

Anonymous said...

No. No connection to URI. Biomes is a privately owned Marine center owned and run by Mark H.
A truly incredible place with lots of hands on learning! I am a teacher in a private school and have been taking my classes there ....for many years, The experience just gets better.

B