Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was wonderful. I always look forward to the homemade cards all stuck together with 12 rolls of scotch tape and unidentifiable drawings. No really-I just adore them. Patrick drew me a picture of Zeus, Tae's card included a picture of my meal...iced water and a fish. Morgan gave me gold stars in an envelope. Treasures...all of them.

After church this morning, Larry and the kids made me brunch while I worked out in the garden. It was all very secretive and the kids were so proud. Morgan made a delicious fruit salad, there was bacon and an incredible omelet and some juice.

The Orioles have been very busy building nests and sending out mating calls. The Hummingbirds don't have much of a chance at the feeders in the early spring. The Orioles come and feed on the nectar all day long. This is the male.

And the female. They are just gorgeous.
Larry and the kids got me a Cuisinart ice cream maker and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Dessert Book. Yes-I asked for the ice cream maker. I'm tired of paying $3.00 for a half gallon of ice cream and really wanted to try homemade. All of the recipes for the famous Ben and Jerry's ice cream is in this book. Cherry Garcia here I come!

I spent most of th e day in my garden. I planted 20 tomato plants, 12 peppers, 6 chili peppers, basil, dill, tarragon, lemon balm, sage, cucumbers, eggplant, corn, zuchinni, squash, pumpkins, sunflowers, watermelon and tons of marigolds. I also weeded out two gardens and managed to get a nice little sunburn today.

Larry and the kids also made dinner. We had steak, some very nice wine and my favorite Balsamic grilled vegetables. Vegetables of your choice-I like yellow squash, zuchinni, mushrooms and red peppers. Add a half cup of olive oil, half cup balsamic, half cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Marinate for half an hour and grill. Sweet and delicious.

It was very breezy here today and we had several kites in our garage just beckoning to be used.

What fun!

Way up high in the sky.

Our house and backyard smell so sweet because of the lilacs. They are just about in full bloom.
Stewie spent the day running and running with his soccer ball.

Patrick entertained the chickens.
The girls got into the compost bin and made quite the mess. They really enjoyed the strawberry tops from this mornings fruit salad.
Happy Mother's Day everyone!