Saturday, May 2, 2009

Homemade Violet Jelly

Yesterday I posted some pictures of the Violets in my yard. I also posted how I thought these were invasive and killing my lawn and well....weeds. I happened to be lost in blog land yesterday and found a recipe for Violet Jelly on another blog. In my blog roll you'll see Lizzie Lane. It's her recipe so I can take no credit other than the making of my own jelly. But it makes me so happy that I've found a use for the Violets. So here's the recipe and a tutorial. Please excuse the blurry pictures. It's hard to cook and take pictures at the same time.
Violet Jelly
2 heaping cups of violet petals (use the whole flower with green collar attached)
2 cups of boiling water
1/4 cup strained, fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
4 cups of sugar
3 oz of Certo (pectin)

Wash the petals and pick out any stems that were left.

Pour the boiling water over the petals.

Let the petals and water sit overnight. Stir every so often.

Strain this mixture through a cheesecloth and press and squeeze out all of the liquid from the petals. Discard the petals. See the pretty color it turns.

Add the four cups of sugar and lemon juice to the violet liquid and heat over medium heat.
Notice how the liquid changes color.

Stir constantly until...

The mixture starts to come to a rolling boil.

Add the liquid Certo or pectin and cook 4 minutes. Skim the foam off the top so your jelly will be nice and clear.

Fill your canning jars to the top. I could have filled these a little more. Turn the jars upside down on a clean towel to seal and cool the jars. They should set in about 3 hours.

I already opened a jar because I'm impatient and wanted to try. It was delicious. It has the flavor of berries with flowery undertones and a hint of grass. It's not something I would use on a peanut butter sandwich but on a bagel or english muffin-yum and can't wait. Or even over some vanilla ice cream.
Lizzie Lane also says that the same recipe can be used with Bee Balm, Rose, Lavender and Garden Mints. I have mint growing-can't wait to try that recipe. I love mint jelly.

2 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

Hmmm...I wonder if I have enough
violets in my yard to do this...

The Mom said...

trust me-there's enough. I picked enough for two batches of this stuff. I swear the patch quadrupled in size overnight! Ah well-the bunnies are enjoying them.