Sunday, July 11, 2010

Zucchini Pickles

The Garden is bursting and I am so happy. Last year we had barely anything because of the tomato blight and drowning rain. This year we are already overflowing in mid July.

Zucchini is always in abundance and I'm always looking for recipes to create from them. This year I pickled them. The husband picked 16 Zukes yesterday and I made the pickles.
Later that evening he brought me 6 more.
I'll use these for Zucchini bread and freeze most of them.
Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles
16 cups sliced Zucchini
4 cups of thinly sliced onions
1/2 cup salt
4 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp of mustard seed
2 tbsp celery seed
2 tsp of Tumeric
Cover Zucchini and onion slices with water and salt.
Let stand 2 hours and drain thoroughly.
Combine Vinegar, sugar and spices and bring to boil.
Simmer 5 minutes and fill sterilized jars with mixture and pickling solution leaving 1/2 inch at top. Complete with a water process bath for 15 minutes.
You can use red onions too if you want a sweeter taste but I find the white ones work just as well. Besides, it was all I had in the refrigerator.

Yes, I was sobbing while cutting these.

Isn't it pretty?
Oh gracious me!
16 pints of pickled Zucchini.
And look at all of my Garlic that we harvested!
A few heads are tiny and could have used another week in the ground but that's ok. These will dry and I will braid them. I always wanted a garlic braid hanging in my kitchen. Don't ask me why. I think I will plant more garlic in the fall.

Oh and Morgan made a Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie for dessert.
Love that child.
Love chocolate.
And pickles!
Bev


No comments: