Friday, September 11, 2009

The Letter Cc

This week we learned about the letter Cc for Kindergarten. Tae recognizes and can write all of the alphabet and now we are working on the sounds that each letter makes.
Cc is for Cupcake. I'm totally addicted to www.filefolderfun.com .
I made him this great counting folder. He had to count the cherries (not sure who puts cherries on cupcakes) and then match the number onto the cupcake.

This was easy for him because all of the cherry counting was in the correct order. Once he figured that out, I mixed them up so they were out of order.
Number 10 was next to 7 which was next to 3 etc. Everything is laminated to be used again and he can pull them out when he likes to and play.


Isn't it cute?

Numbers one thru ten!

He's very proud!

I found some nice printable books to print out from www.abcteach.com .
There are a lot of words in these books that Tae recognizes. The books also contained a lot of high frequency words, like "is, "and" and "cow."
He practiced writing some letters and word recognition. He LOVES this word wall. On Monday and Tuesday I let him draw the pictures that go with his Cc words. On Wednesday and Thursday we wrote just the words and by Friday he was reading most of them. I did ten Cc words this week and Tae did just great with all of them.

Another board I made that Tae loves. I cut out letters of all of his word wall words and he played with these all week and formed words and played.
The printed out book, The Cat and the Fish, I found online on a really cool site
called http://www.carlscorner.us.com/WOW.htm
By Friday of this week, Tae was reading both of these books independently. I thought perhaps he had just memorized the verses but we did some reading today in a book called, "Cooking with Cat", and he recognized all of his Cc words. He even said to me, "I know what c-o-o-k is but what's that "ing" thing at the end.
I printed some letter template Cc's from dltk kids site here:
Tae cut them out, he's really good at cutting, added glue.....

And made some Caterpillars from pom-poms and googly eyes.
There are also some great activities on the link below.
We had a great week!


1 comment:

Melissa R said...

Bev, do you have your own laminating machine or do you take them somewhere? I have a bunch of bulletin board stuff I want to laminate but Staples/etc is WAY too expensive to get it all done.