Sunday, August 24, 2008

A day in the life


I'm finally here. Blogging has been on my to do list for many months. Something always came first. It's been a rough couple of weeks. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and Ehrlichiosis (another tick illness) and it knocked me flat on my back for several weeks. I am finally on the mend but my garden has taken a toll. My wonderful husband did the best he could for several weeks in caring for both me and the kids.


My poor garden, it hasn't been watered and the tomatoes are just falling off the vine because they are so dry. We planted "lemon cucumbers" this year and I really wouldn't recommend planting them to anyone. Very seedy with only a mild cuke flavor. Even the guinea pigs didn't like them but the chickens went crazy. Guess who got all the cukes this year? On a brighter note, we have several pumpkins and bottle neck gourds that are thriving.


Chickens-that's our other new endevour this year. After viewing a video on http://www.chickenindustry.com/ we knew we had to do something. It's a graphic video and not one that kids should view so be warned. But it is important for anyone passionate about animal rights. On July 14th 8 baby chicks arrived. One has since died but the others are thriving. We have 2 Easter Eggers (blue and green eggs-can't wait!), 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Buff Orpingtons and one White Silkie. We should have some eggs in the late fall-we hope. We haven't been able to come to terms with raising meat chickens yet (ok the killing of them for meat) so for now we will buy local free range chicken from a neighbor for meat. We built a huge coop for them which was a lot of fun.


The rest of my time today was spent organizing a fundraiser that will take place on October 4th. We are sponsoring a service dog for a local organization. We recently raised enough funding for my husband to obtain his 3 rd hearing dog and response was so overwhelming with extra $$ that we decided to do something for our injured combat vets. Jazz band, dinner, should be a fabulous night that I'm looking forward to.

No comments: